Has your mental calendar already flipped to January 2015 when it comes to rebooting your family’s healthy habits? Being active and healthy now can take the pressure off those looming New Year’s resolutions and even put a kick in your step when you need it during these busy days ahead.
Make your holidays merry and light using these tips from the Together Counts™ program, a great resource for active families from the Healthy Weight Commitment
- It’s all about energy balance! This time of year means lots of celebrations brimming with traditional meals and treats. Balance it out by starting each day with a brisk walk. When you exercise first thing in the morning, you tend to remember to balance your calories—or energy in— throughout the day.
- Looking for the perfect Christmas tree? Weather you like to cut your own or hunt down a deal at your local roadside stand, make it a family outing. Getting the family together for just about any outdoor activity this time of year is a reminder that being active matters.
- Making a big batch of holiday cookies? Look for recipes that include lots of interesting dried fruits and nuts. You’ll increase the nutrient value and give more crunch and punch to ho hum holiday treats.
- December 21st is Winter Solstice. It might be the shortest day of the year, but there’s time to fit a lot in! Why not organize a neighborhood caroling event? Simply plot a one mile route that works for young and old alike and keep the crowd moving and singing. Warm up afterwards with a light meal to serve a cold crowd—think healthy baked potato bar (be sure to bake some sweet potatoes too) and warm cider.
- Do something active and healthy for a local school! Visit TogetherCounts.com to enter the Healthy Playground Makeover Sweepstakes. Anyone can enter on behalf of a local pre school or elementary school in need of a new playground and up to $30,000 in grant funding. Do you know a Pre-K teacher? Let her know that she could enter to win up to $20,000 for her classroom. It’s easy to enter here.
Learn more about how your family can be healthy and active at
TogetherCounts.com. Happy Healthy Holidays!